Thursday, November 24, 2016

Jeong

This week we learned about Jeong. It is a Korean word that doesn’t have a one-word translation into English. If I have Jeong with you, you respect me. You recognize that I understand your culture and that my behaviors follow the social norms in a way that communicates that I respect your culture and I respect you. So a big part of Jeong is respect, but it is more than that.

If we have Jeong, then we also have a very close bond that English speakers may describe as love. We share a relationship that would include our being willing to serve and sacrifice for one another. The closest I can describe it is the bond I feel with someone who shares my consecration to the gospel of Jesus Christ. We share no blood; we may have only just met; but we are sisters/siblings and we share the same heart.

In Korea, Jeong is defined and an important part of their culture. I learned that my bowing low and greeting the old people in their own language has created instant Jeong. Giving my seat on the train to someone older than I, creates instant Jeong. On the other hand, telling a Korean that I don’t like kimchi is like poking my finger in their eye and telling them their mother is ugly! The appropriate way to approach my feelings about the food is to praise those foods that I DO like and say nothing of the foods that make me sick. I’ve learned two new phrases this week and plan to repent.

We had a mix of activities this week including providing free haircuts for our two handsome missionaries. The tall Elder Carmen hadn’t had a haircut for three months so the hair in my kitchen was almost ankle-deep. I didn’t even recognize him the next time we met because I was used to his long mane. They are such faithful young men and so kind to us. I definitely have Jeong with them.

We were in Seoul twice this week. We visited the hospital at Yongsan AFB for a screening and then returned the next day for the mission conference with P.J. Rogers. Bro. Rogers is THE member of our church who is known and has Jeong with ALL Koreans. He spent two hours with the missionaries helping us understand Korean culture and how to learn the language. He had lots of stories that were VERY funny, because all the missionaries laughed loudly. Unfortunately, he told all his jokes in Korean. He split his presentation between the languages but was such an animated speaker that we understood what he was saying even if we couldn’t translate the words. It was easy to see how easily he develops Jeong with others.

I stopped on the street to take a picture of the quilted items being sold by the grandmothers. I told them, in Korean, that their quilts were beautiful; but I think they hoped I would also purchase something.

We explored our neighborhood in another direction and found a lovely playground for children and adults. Even one train stop south the equipment and facilities were about ten years newer than those in our little park. There was a picture of the landscape in 1950 to compare with today. In those 65 years this area has gone from farmland with a few simple structures for dwellings to multiple high rise buildings and many factories that seem to have no limit to the pollution they can pump into the air. Korea is changing and has hopes to continue to change in the direction of true democracy as evidenced by the continued street protests in Seoul as they hope to force their president to resign. We passed protestors on our way to the mission home, but they protest very peacefully here with singing, signs, and speeches.
               


We did another explore up into the hills (53 flights on the Fitbit) and found the houses just one draw north were much larger and more beautiful. There was no sewage smell in this valley! We wondered if we would be able to see North Korean from the top, but this is our little dong (city).
         
       I thought it was interesting how they placed straw around the trunks of the trees and tied it with a rope woven from the same straw. This must provide protection from the cold winter winds.

                The climb to the ridge was steep and difficult because of the thick layer of leaves. Coming down the slope was slippery and slick as snow so I just sat down and pretended I was sledding.
       
Closer to home, we saw two old people carrying recyclables. She was carrying some metal pieces and he had a cart full of cardboard. This is the house they came home to, in contrast with the home in the picture above. They did have a nice big garden plot. They just looked too old to be supporting themselves with a garden and gathering garbage.


How thankful we are for the Jeong we feel with so many friends and the opportunity to develop Jeong with many more in this beautiful land. On our way home today we met a Korean woman who had lived in Massachusetts for a number of years and she was excited to see an American. She was so frightened about the political landscape in America and South Korea. I took the opportunity to share with her the comfort I receive because of my faith in Jesus Christ. Faith casts out fear. In the end, it will be all right (Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley). We have a prophet’s word on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment